Gourmandina was established in 2014 as a specialty food business. Their goals are to provide delicious vegetable-based sauces and other products to the Cochabamba marketplace. Gourmandina uses only fresh, nutritious, and high quality ingredients, while incorporating an environmental and social consciousness into their business practices. The Co-founders, Chris and Heidy have years of experience in the food and beverage industry. As well as ample experience in international development and non-profit sectors. These skill sets allow them to bring their ideas to fruition putting Gourmandina at the forefront of the up-and-coming Bolivian food scene.
During this intensive 4 to 8 week internship in Cochabamba, interns will be exposed to the diverse elements that make up the Bolivian food system. Interns will have the opportunity to experience a wide range of small rural producers as well as sophisticated urban restaurants. They will be encouraged to delve into and understand the varying perspectives of each key component of the food system, including economic considerations as well as cultural, environmental and nutritional impacts. This knowledge will then be used to help Gourmandina integrate these observations into its vision and operational mission.
The internship will be hands-on while incorporating fun and eating at the same time!
Internships may involve a combination of the following areas:
- Food and Ingredient research: development of nutrition/historical/origin profiles of key ingredients and sources in Bolivia
- Creation of basic nutrition classes for the Cochabamba community
- Design land-use and greenhouse plan for small scale organic farming
- Social media marketing strategy and tools
- Development of a socially and environmentally responsibile business strategy
- Strong interest or experience in culinary arts, farming, nutrition, food markets and/or other related areas
- Flexibility, adaptability, and curiosity particularly pertaining to market systems, food, and Bolivian culture
- Conversational level of Spanish helpful but not required
Gourmandina is unique in that they work with local partners who share a sustainable vision of food production. Interns will have the opportunity for in-depth interactions and learning experiences with these companies and organizations during the program.
Our partners include:
- AHA Bolivia: An ethical and fair trade manufacturing house located in Cochabamba that work with artisan women to produce luxury fiber-based goods
- Andes Food: A local restaurant and hospitality group committed to progressive practices and quality food, drink and entertainment
- Campo Aventura: A biodynamic farm and rural tourism compound located 2 hours from Cochabamba
Other potential collaborating partners include:
- Save the Children, Bolivia Country Office (Food Security team)
- Simón I Patiño Foundation, Pairumani model farm
- Gustu restaurant (La Paz) and its culinary training program
- Practical Internship
- Learning modules & accompanying activities (6-8 hours per week)
- Room and board
- Visits to local sites
- Airport pick-up & drop-off
Program Does Not Include:
- Round-trip airfare to/from Cochabamba
- Travel/emergency medical insurance (see services)
- Spanish conversation classes (see services)
- Visa costs (see services)
- $1,500 for 4 weeks