Founded by Paula Lujan in 2007 the Biotienda Soltierraluna is one of Cochabamba first green businesses. The store aims to promote healthy eating through the sale of locally sourced organic goods, while simultaneously spreading social responsibility by reducing, reusing, and recycling. In addition, the Biotienda Soltierraluna offers a range of herbal remedies and periodic workshops to the larder community. Paula’s efforts culiminate in the creation of healthy consiously consuming community in Cochabamba.
This internship is a combination of hands-on-learning and work experience. Intern will have the opportunity to work directly alongside Paula and her staff on a daily basis in the store preparing bake goods, stocking shelves, and promoting products. Interning in the Biotienda Soltierraluna is a unique opportunity to learn the organic food business from the theoretical to the practical.
Internships may involve a combination of the following areas:
- Food and Ingredient research: development of nutrition/historical/origin profiles of key ingredients and sources in Bolivia
- Design and implementation of basic nutrition classes for heads of households
- Land-use and greenhouse planning for small scale organic farming
- Social media strategy and outreach
- Development of a corporate social and environmental responsibility strategy
The position will be intense and “hands-on” and include lots of fun and eating well along the way.
- Strong interest or experience in organic food, farming, nutrition, food markets, small business and/or other relevant areas.
- Preference given to students with degrees in/or studying marketing, communication, business and/or environmental sciences.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and curiousness always useful.
- Conversational Spanish helpful but not required.
- Pre-college students are welcome to apply as their Gap Year Program.
Minimum time: 4 weeks and can be longer
Start date: all year long
- Internship position
- Accommodation, shared housing
- Vegetarian lunch the days you work at the Bio-tienda Soltierraluna
- Airport pick-up & drop-off
- All administrative costs
Program does not include:
- Round-trip airfare to/from Cochabamba
- Travel/emergency medical insurance (see services)
- Spanish conversation classes (see services)
- Visa if required (see services)
$,1500 for 4 weeks.